Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Blue Canoe Organic Clothing

I was having a great chitchat the other day with a very cool lady who you will hear about later this week. During our conversation, we talked about the fact that those of us who want to buy more organic, environmentally friendly things like beauty products or clothing have often had to sacrifice fashion. It's been really tough to find beautiful, fashionable clothing that is also easy on the planet, which leaves the ecochick in a dilemma: Look really sharp, or save the earth?

More and more clothing manufacturers are realizing there are plenty of consumers like us, who want it all. Cool and fashionable and ecofriendly and sustainable. Places like Blue Canoe Organic Clothing. They create a range of tops, bottoms and lingerie pieces that work for both the yoga studio and the street. There's items made from 100% organic cotton or bamboo, and items that have a little lycra blended in to give it the appropriate level of stretch. The styles are simple, in pretty solid colours such as violet or apple. There's gorgeous go-anywhere items like this bamboo dress, comfy, flattering pieces like this v-neck tee, easy, cozy bottoms like this crop pant, and plenty more. Everything is made in the USA, and they often have items on sale.

Their online store only ships to the USA (boo!) but the good news is, several items are available at Not Just Pretty, which ships anywhere in Canada for a small fee - or if you spend over $100, shipping is free! Check out the entire line at BlueCanoe.com.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really, it is great that there are online options for buying fashionable eco-friendly clothing- but most of the products on "Not Just Pretty" are 50$+ each- the majority being over 100$ just for one article of clothing. I certainly do not have that much money to spend on one top- I can't wait for AFFORDABLE eco-clothing...
Lisa

Unknown said...

Hey, this is Susan from Monterrey, and I love your eco friendly site. You know last year I also had a shopping site and I was also interested in getting sales and increasing my website revenue, this is kind of off the subject, but I just came across a company called Hot Search Marketing on a different blog: http://rateyourinternetmarketing.blogspot.com.

Have you heard about them? They're supposed to offer free seo and ppc management services and only charge for leads. I think this is awesome, and if it's true, I think you should check out their site at: http://www.hothelpsyousell.com.

Anyway, keep up the good writing and if you do try them out, shoot me an email or just write a post review about them.

I'll be coming back to your blog

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

@anonymous - I hear you. Someone tweeted this article today you might find interesting...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/372892_fashionorganic31.html

ThreadBeaur said...

I am so excited about bluecanoe. I was just browsing their page after I found them on your blog! I have been looking for something like this!

Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ecochick- the article was great! sigh- soon soon eco-clothing will be more affordable, and for now I will be searching extra hard and will have to spend more time finding online/local products that are in my price range AND pretty at the same time.
ps: i do LOVE your blog :)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I am used to the cost of clothing produced using cheap labor too...
I bought some "cheaper" (60 bucks) organic cotton pants from a store in the mall - made in China - and immediately had to replace the button. The fabric is very thin.
My takehome message is to buy quality used/vintage in thrift stores and save up for special more expensive items that fit well and take care of them - that's sustainable!

girl @ Silk Bouquets said...

Hi there, I stumbled upon your blog on girlsustainable.com, It's good to know that more and more women are getting aware of what they wear, that is, eco-friendly fashion. Thanks

Florist Sydney said...

It's about time that we should do our share of protecting the environment, buying and wearing dresses made from eco-friendly sustainable materials is a good start. It's great to have blogs like this to keep us informed and educated, thanks a lot. :)

aml said...

It's great to know that there are people out there producing organic products. We all must support them.

Unknown said...

That dress you reviewed is so adorable. I love the vibrant color.



Organic Apparel